Your Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage is something that is personal and you do not need a ‘letter of confirmation’ to identify as an Indigenous person. However you may be asked to provide a Confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander form or letter when applying for Indigenous-specific services or programs such as:

  • Grants (such as Indigenous housing loans, research and study grants)
  • University courses (with specific positions for Indigenous students)
  • Centrelink and housing assistance (Indigenous-specific)
  • Employment (Indigenous identified positions)
  • School programs for Indigenous students

Why is it so involved?

These services and programs are intended to address the social, health and educational issues that Indigenous people often face as the result of past removal policies and inadequate educational, employment and health services. Requesting proof of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage from applicants helps to make sure that this intention is honoured.

How do I obtain proof of my Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander heritage?

There is a downloadable form you can complete or online application form to have your Aboriginality confirmed by Mura Badulgal (TSI) Corporation RNTBC. If the Board of Directors require more information then they will make contact with you.

For this reason it is often useful to gather as much information about your family history as you can, this is particularly important if you or your ancestors have been displaced from your heritage. Examples of useful information include birth, death and marriage certificates that trace your family, oral history stories and even photographs.

Apply Online Now



Download Form